EOSC 442 · Climate Measurement and Analysis
Local climate time series collection and analysis. Retrieval and analysis of on-line climate data and model output. [0-3-0] Prerequisite: EOSC 340 and one of CPSC 110, CPSC 111, CPSC 301, EOSC 211, MATH 210, PHYS 210 and one of STAT 200, STAT 241, BIOL 300.
Instructor, 2022: Michael Lipsen
- Conduct science research based on observations and data collected in the class
- Consider scale and scale dependence of environmental phenomena, and how those are reflected in environmental information.
- Appreciate the effort, potential errors and problems in collecting long-term environmental time series.
- Refine your use of PRECISE scientific terminology to describe your data, your question(s) and your outcomes.
- Find, assess and use publicly available data to critically and quantitatively evaluate scientific ideas.
- Apply the concepts of statistical significance, anomalies, correlation, trends, periodicity, variance and co-variance using common computational techniques.
- Critically evaluate scientific statements
- Communicate science visually and orally
- Work effectively as part of a group