- Mantle geochemistry
- Radiogenic isotope and trace element geochemistry
- Composition, evolution, and structure of mantle plumes
- Ocean island basalt volcanism (e.g., Hawaii, Kerguelen)
The goals of my M.Sc. research were to provide a greater understanding of Hawaiian post-shield volcanism, characterize the geochemical evolution of Hawaiian volcanoes from the shield to post-shield stage, and better define the geochemical structure of the Hawaiian plume. Specifically, my research investigated (a) if the observed isotopic variations can be explained by a radially zoned plume, (b) what variations must be attributed to to longitudinal rather than radial heterogeneity, (c) the relationship between small-scale heterogeneity and large-scale zoning in the plume, (d) how the isotopic compositions correspond to structure at the plume source, and (e) if any of the structure is due to entrained material higher in the mantle.
In the big picture, I am interested in the origin and distribution of distinct geochemical and isotopic signatures and their relationship to large-scale dynamics in the mantle and at the core-mantle boundary. In a broader sense, I am also intrigued by the application of geochemistry and mass spectrometry to addressing challenges in other fields such as forestry, soil science, forensics, anthropology and medicine.
- Onboard Education Officer, IODP Expedition 354: Bengal Fan, JOIDES Resolution (January-March 2015)
- Facilitator, How Learning Works: Useful Techniques for Future Teachers, Goldschmidt Conference, Sacramento CA (June 9, 2014)
- Facilitator, Teaching and Learning Activities in Geochemistry: Examples and Applications, Goldschmidt Conference, Sacramento CA (June 8, 2014)
- Facilitator, Geochemistry Made Fun!, Earth Sciences teacher training weekend, Vancouver BC (October 19-21, 2012)
- Teaching Assistant, Marine Geology (EOSC 426), University of British Columbia (2005)
- M.Sc. Geochemistry, University of British Columbia (2005–2008)
- B.Sc. (Honours) Geology & Oceanography, University of British Columbia (1999–2004)
- Program Coordinator, Multidisciplinary Applied Geochemistry Network (2012-present)
- Project Manager, Pacific Centre for Isotopic and Geochemical Research (2010-present)
- Scientific Coordinator, Canadian Consortium for Ocean Drilling (IODP-Canada) (2010-present)
- Geologic Consultant, Mira Geoscience (2010)
- Office Manager & Executive Assistant, Geoscience BC (2009-2010)
- Sponsorship & Exhibition Chair, 18th Goldschmidt Geochemistry Conference (2007-2008)
- Research Assistant, Pacific Centre for Isotopic and Geochemical Research (2004-2008)
- Shipboard Scientist, Northern Hawaiian Islands Marine Expedition (Sept.-Oct. 2007)
Garcia MO, Wise S, Jicha BR, Ito G, Hanano D. 2016. Petrology and geochronology of lavas from Ka ‘ula Volcano: Implications for rejuvenated volcanism of the Hawaiian mantle plume. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. 185:278–301.
Harrison L, Wise S, Hanano D, Barnes E. 2015. Lithium isotopic signature of Hawaiian basalts. Hawaiian Volcanoes: From Source to Surface. 208:79–104.
Garcia MO, Hanano D, Flinders A, Wise S, Ito G, Kurz MD. 2012. Age, geology, geophysics, and geochemistry of Mahukona Volcano, Hawaii. Bulletin of volcanology. 74:1445–1463.
Hanano D, Wise S, Scoates JS, Aciego S, DePaolo DJ. 2010. Horizontal and vertical zoning of heterogeneities in the Hawaiian mantle plume from the geochemistry of consecutive postshield volcano pairs: Kohala-Mahukona and Mauna Kea–Hualalai. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems. 11
Hanano D, Scoates JS, Wise S. 2009. Alteration mineralogy and the effect of acid-leaching on the Pb-isotope systematics of ocean-island basalts. American Mineralogist. 94:17–26.
Garcia M, Ito G, Wise S, Geist D, Swinnard L, Bianco T, Flinders A, Taylor B, Appelgate B, Blay C et al.. 2008. Widespread Secondary Volcanism Near Northern Hawaiian Islands. Eos, Transactions American Geophysical Union. 89:542–543.
Wise S, Kieffer B, Hanano D, Silva INobre, Barling J, Pretorius W, Maerschalk C, Mattielli N. 2007. Hf isotope compositions of US Geological Survey reference materials. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems. 8
Wise S, Kieffer B, Maerschalk C, Barling J, de Jong J, Williams GA, Hanano D, Pretorius W, Mattielli N, Scoates JS et al.. 2006. High-precision isotopic characterization of USGS reference materials by TIMS and MC-ICP-MS. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems. 7
Pretorius W, Wise S, Williams G, Hanano D, Kieffer B, Scoates J. 2006. Complete Trace Elemental Characterisation of Granitoid (USGS G-2, GSP-2) Reference Materials by High Resolution Inductively Coupled Plasma-Mass Spectrometry. Geostandards and Geoanalytical Research. 30:39–54.