- To learn about field methods in the major branches of oceanography
- To gain practical experience in carrying out field observations
- To develop and carry out a research project involving:
- Writing a research proposal
- Planning a field program
- Obtaining field measurements to address the question proposed
- Analyzing the field measurements
- Presenting results orally at a 'conference'
- Presenting the results in the form of a journal-style article
Use of observations, theory and model results to solve physical oceanographic problems including applications to transport and mixing of pollutants or nutrients.
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
Advanced studies under the direction of a staff member may be arranged in special cases with the approval of the department head.