1. All thesis based graduate students are offered stipends based on their level of study:
- Master’s: minimum $25,500 CDN/annually guaranteed for the first two years
- PhD: minimum $25,500. CDN/annually & tuition fee coverage guaranteed for four years
Minimum stipends increase annually by 2% in line with increases of tuition fees and average inflation rates.
2. Stipends are generally provided through a combination of your supervisor's research funding and teaching assistantships. Stipend levels provided are subject to change depending on any external scholarship(s) held.
- Awards and Scholarships: click here for more information
- Teaching Assistantships: Graduate students are hired to help teach undergraduate courses. Teaching Assistantships are open to all admitted students and are advertised via email prior to the start of each term. Click here for information about Teaching Assistantships and how to apply
3. Non-thesis students are not eligible for stipends or competitive awards
Graduate Student Travel Fund
The Graduate Student Travel Fund provides support for conference travel and expenses. An additional award of $500 (sponsored by Chevron) is available to students presenting an abstract or poster at CSEG or SEG conferences.
Eligibility: All graduate students
Value: $300 for MSc, MASc students and $600 for PhD students
Only claimable for conferences that were attended within the first two years for Master’s students and within the first four years for PhD students
- If a student transfers from the Master’s program to a PhD program, the student can claim: $300 + $600
- Funding can be used for more than one conference
- Completed claims must be submitted to the Graduate Program Coordinator for processing within three months of incurring the expense
- Claims will not be accepted from students who are no longer registered or on a leave of absence
Eligible expenses include:
- travel (economy airfare or other public transport, vehicle rental, or mileage at approved rates
- conference registration
- For the Chevron Award, please attach the notice of acceptance of abstract/poster presentation whe submitting your application
How to Claim
Submit a Graduate Student Travel Fund Application and an EOAS Expense Claim Worksheet to Kimberly Tietjen; Acting Graduate Program Coordinator (email@example.com) along with the appropriate receipts.