Homework Answers and Exam Study Guides
(Links to the solutions and answers will be provided roughly a week after each assignment is due.)
- Fall 2023: HW1 , HW2 , HW3 , HW4 , HW5 , HW6 , HW7 , HW8 , HW9 , HW10 , HW11(canceled) , HW12 , HW13 .
Study Guides for Exams:
(Answers are not provided.)
- Fall 2023: Midterm A , Midterm B, Final .
- Fall 2022: Midterm , Final .
- Fall 2021: Midterm , Final .
- Fall 2020: Midterm , Final .
- Fall 2019: Midterm , Final .
- Fall 2018: Midterm , Final .
- Fall 2017: Midterm , Final .
- Fall 2016: Midterm , Final .
- Fall 2015: Midterm , Final .
- Fall 2014: Midterm , Final .
- Fall 2013: Midterm , Final .
- Fall 2012: Midterm , Final .
- Fall 2011: Midterm , Final .
- Fall 2010: Midterm , Final .
- Fall 2009: Midterm , Final .
- Fall 2008: Midterm , Final .
Current weather Forecasts from Stull's research team: 2-day Fcst for UBC , 7-day Fcst for UBC, .
Current weather satellite loops
-- best GOES loops in Fall 2019:
-- best Polar orbiting loops in Fall 2019:
- NASA Worldview: https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/
(one per day, zoomable). (Feel free to close any pop-up windows
that block the view of the satellite image.) If you don't see any
clouds on the map, then click the left arrow near the bottom left of
the display, to go back to the previous day.
Current weather radar (UWash) loops.
The EC/UNBC weather viewer WxV .
Other Resources and Tutorials
Sample Warm-up Exercise (as you would normally access from the UBC "Canvas" link)
tutorials. Note: UBC students get free access to Microsoft Office 365, which you can download from https://it.ubc.ca/software-downloads .
Case Studies of some interesting events.
Tornado research status as of 2012 (full article available at UBC) . If off campus, see abstract .
Roadmap showing how chapters relate to storm processes.
Blank Hodograph .
Practical Guide for Winds .
Key Thermodynamic Variables -- a very brief overview.
List of Humidity Variables. Psychrometric Graphs.pdf (to find humidity, given dry and web-bulb temperatures)
Upper-Air Soundings & Thermo Diagram Tutorials:
Where to get real-time soundings plotted on thermo diagrams:
- Basic: Understanding and Using Soundings .
- The Environment
- Air Parcels (Summary of which lines to follow)
- Static Stability
- Predicting Storm Intensity
- Intermediate: Creating & Using Thermo Diagrams using Spreadsheet .
- Spreadsheet Thermodynamics - the Emagram
- Plotting a Sounding
- Additional Practice
- How to identify which thermo diagram you have.
- Results from a balloon sounding made from UBC 26 Sep 2002 .
- Blank pdf copies of thermodynamic diagrams created by Stull:
- grey (easy to photocopy): emagram, skew-T, tephigram (simplified) , Stuve, theta-z, and boundary-layer versions.
(Note: emagram and theta-z diagrams based on Stull 2000: Meteorology
for Scientists and Engr, 2nd Ed., Cengage, used with permission.)
- color (easy to print): 1) emagram , 2) Stüve , 3) skew-T , 4) tephigram , 5) theta-z ,
- special color thermo diagrams zoomed for the boundary layer: 6) skewT-ABL , 7) thetaZ-ABL
- Blank thermo diagrams from other sources:
- Univ. of Wyoming (Google search on "u wy soundings")
- National Center for Atmospheric Research (Google search on "rap soundings")
- NCEP Storm Prediction Center (Google search on "spc soundings")
- UNBC animated loops of soundings via the "PROFILE" link. (Google search on "unbc wxv")
- Soundings from commercial aircraft as they ascend or descend near airports. (need password)
• Static-Stability Practice with the nonlocal "apex" method.
Radar Storm Image Interpretation Tutorial .
Radar web sites (list of tutorials and live display sites
Satellite Storm Image Interpretation Tutorial .
Jet-stream worldwide live animation on nullschool by Cameron Beccario . (You can select different heights and weather variables to animate.)
Online educational resources for a wide range of intro meteorology courses & topics: UCAR.COMET .
(Note: You need to register with COMET, but registration is free.)
Weather data and map analysis info:
Links to other web sites about fronts and extratropical cyclones.
Copy of slides presented in class about regional/local weather and West-coast Weather.
How to take striking cloud photos using High Dynamic Range (HDR) photography with your smartPhone or iPad.
Nice collections of cloud photos:
Cloud Identification Tables ( schematic , movies - still under construction).
YouTube clips of weather, as used in Lecture. (Note, the "Days" listed here do NOT correspond to specific lecture days.) List of video links.